View Single Post

Old September 14th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Thanks Hal -

I'm still pretty sure that I can't redistribute msizap, and in any event, it (and the registry) aren't very user friendly for nontechnical users.

I seem to be making progress, though, but the problem is not yet solved. I now am able to do an uninstall/reinstall of MSDE so the (reinstall) log file reports success. Now, however, I am unable to start the reinstalled instance as a service.

The change I made to get a successful reinstall was to have my install program install (and reinstall) MSDE with a blank password. With a blank password, the reinstall reports success; with a non-blank password, it fails. I was planning to have my app change the password when it is first run.

But, again, I can't get the service to start. Here's what I did:

1. Installed MSDE (blank password)
2. Rebooted --> the service started automatically
3. Uninstalled MSDE using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel
4. Deleted the Data directory for the instance
5. Rebooted -->
        Problem: I got a Net Service Configuration Error
                 "The specified service does not exist
                  as an installed service."
                  For users wanting to simply remove my app and MSDE,
                  how do I prevent this message??
6. Reinstalled MSDE (blank password)
7. Rebooted (I didn't get the above Net Service Configuration Error)

At this point, the log file reports success and the instance (ENP356) shows as an installed service (MSSQL$ENP356), but it's stopped. When I try to start it using the Microsoft Management Console, I get:

"The MSSQL$ENP356 service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I also tried starting the service with net start. I opened a cmd window and ran:

net start MSSQL$ENP356

The following lines were then displayed:

The MSSQL$ENP356 service is starting.
The MSSQL$ENP356 service could not be started.
The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

OK, so when I typed NET HELPMSG 3534, the following (not very helpful) line was displayed:

The service did not report an error.

How can I get the reinstalled instance started??

- Jeff