View Single Post

Old September 20th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hal makes a good point about the need to migrate. May I make the following points in response:

1) Performance: If your code is primarily performing lots of database interaction, there may be a lot of limitations in your current application due to the much simpler language that could be optimized by using the extensive ADO.NET classes and the true OOP environment of .NET. (This will have a much greater impact if and when you need to add features to the application.)

2) Education: Unfortunately, this point is often far too difficult to use to convince powers-that-be that you should dedicate time to an upgrade, depending on your organization. When I started learning .NET I worked with a team who was all new to .NET. We starting using it to build a whole new application. So we ended up having to think a lot about designing the application while also learning about the new technology. This proved less than fruitful. If I'd had the opportunity, I would have taken an existing application and migrated it. This would have yielded two major advantages:
A) You already know how the application works so you know when you have really busted it.
B) You can focus your energy on learning the technology and thinking about how to refactor what is already there to make it better using the new technology. You don't need to redesign the application from a business point of view, only a technical point of view.

3) Scalability/Flexibility: ASP applications aren't easily scalable/flexible. If you needed to change the application so it work without cookies, you'd have to write a lot of code yourself. If you wanted to put the application on a web farm, you'd need to write a lot of code yourself. If you migrated the application to .NET, you could perform both of these tasks in minutes instead of weeks. (Granted, you would have had to spend time migrating the application to .NET anyway so it might not be a compelling point.)

4) 3rd Party Tools: .NET will allow you to get away from several 3rd party tools, which could save you licensing costs and also boost performance. .NET has built in mailing capability, and there are many charting tools for .NET that perform better than (not to mention eliminate the COM headache of) VB add-on components.

Hopefully this helps you.