View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Authorized User

:)Hi mega,

Nice from you and Imar to reply. I'm relatively new to ASP, and I'm really trying hard to learn it. I understand the code you've provided me with the Timer build-in function, but it does require a client to request a page.

If you don't mind, I will briefly explain to you why I do need an automated refresh.

I'm in the process of building an educational web site. What I would like to automate, is the process of filtering the users that are new on my web site from the others. The new will be shown on a window and the others in another one. Until now, I was able to write the program in VBScript for the windows and the filtering process. However, this is where I'm stuck, I have to do this manually. So if I receive a 1000 users one day, then I will have to miss a day of work in order to spend the whole day to separate the new users from the olders.

So, in order not to have to miss a working day, I've build a semi-manual control panel that allows me to hit a button and to process the filtering. However, I'm not always at my computer for many different reasons, nor I do have access all the time to one.

That's the reason why I would like to fully automate the system, unstead of me having to push on a button, or to wait for a user to enter my web site in order to trigger the process.

I also have other applications on the web site to fully automate it.

Any way, you and Imar are surely more experienced programmers than I.

For this, I would like to ask you for an advice. I heard that PHP is a better and more complete program than VBScript. If you know about PHP, is it true that I could find most what I need in PHP than with ASP in order to implement timed automation processes in my programs.

Again, many thanks for your help and advices.

Sheers,

Ramez