View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Hi Nicholas-

First off, great book. I've read quite a few books, and I found yours to be the best by a good bit, although I must admit I haven't checked out some of the more recent AJAX releases. I'm more of a Java developer (I wrote a solid portion of the p2p app limewire), so I don't really know JavaScript as well as I'd like. Coming from the Java world, I find the all-in-one-file, functions flying around nature of JavaScript unsettling. It's clearly a great language that incorporates many of the nicest features of other languages, but it's almost the fact that it can do so much that makes it daunting.

So, I guess for me some sort of best practices guide would go a long way. I still don't really know what it means to write good, maintainable JavaScript, whereas I have 20 or 30 tools in my arsenal for doing that with Java. I know they're out there, but I just don't know what they are. I'd love to see something like "Effectice JavaScript" in the "Effective C++" tradition.

I think this is all basically the result of the fact that web developers have been the primary users of JavaScript up until now. I remember when I noticed this shifting in 2002 when a colleague of mine left for Google and starting doing almost exclusively JavaScript code. I thought, "what, you're writing JavaScript?. How horrible!" I didn't appreciate what a great langauge it was at the time, and I did not see the coming revolution with google suggest and everything that came after it (I know there was cool XmlHttRequest stuff before, but I just didn't know about it). Anyway, I feel like JavaScript hasn't really matured in the programmer community from a tools and methodology perspective, and it would be great to see that happen!

Detailed discussion of sciptaculous and prototype might be interesting too if you thought it worthwhile.

By the way, you want a job? Seriously.

-Adam