View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Authorized User

Hi,

I have some ideas for future versions of the book...

First of all, what got me stuck for quite a while is that IE does not support innerHTML in tables or table elements... Now that's the kind of bugs to keep you going for a while... Maybe it is interesting to mention that at the section where you explain innerHTML, to save people's time in the future...

I think the XMLHttpRequest is really the powerful discovery I made when reading your book... This really allows interesting programming... making a javascript client handling the browser, without really ever having to refresh...
It also allows you to make any 'form' elements you like (graphical rollover menu's for a select for example), without even making forms, now that's power... maybe that's nice to mention so people realize this power.
Also you mention you can do any http request with this,not only get and post... I think http protocol is known by to few people, as for myself... I am now trying to find out what other interesting possibilities there might be in XMLHttpRequest... Maybe something to add also to go in a little deeper.

Apart from that, I must say like everybody else, this is the best book on javascript...congrats

(maybe i want to add what makes it so good for me... It seems that the ecma commission did half work on the javascript language (javascript offers much less functionality than most programming languages). On the other hand, they made it so abstract that you can almost rewrite the language (unfortunately you can't define new keywords like 'Class'...). This gives a language which is powerfully abstract, but utterly user-unfriendly... Not a good thing for web development, where lots of developers are not programmers... It is like saying to students, write the other half of the language yourself, while you are learning it... DUH. This book seems to be a fair part of that other half, which turbostarts a student to understand how you can expand javascript. I don't think many other books do that. Also it offers cross-browser solutions that are neat and tight, where i found the browser compatibility sections in other books usually a bore...)

ufo