View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Imar:
Interesting. Thanks for the direction to your article.

I followed the procedure your article specified and enabled both named pipes and TCP/IP but still no joy. Same error msg.

Two other things I tried:

(1) I changed the name of the DataSource from local to my machine’s name and SQLServer: YOUR-D9E47C800B\SQLEXPRESS.
When I use that string in the following After: conn statement I get the same error as before but with a different number. See below.

Before: conn = New SqlConnection("Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=Northwind;Integrated Security=SSPI")
After: conn = New SqlConnection("Data Source=(D9E47C800B\SQLEXPRESS);Initial Catalog=Northwind;Integrated Security=SSPI")

Error msg:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) I changed the name of the Server from localhost to my machine’s name and SQLServer: YOUR-D9E47C800B\SQLEXPRESS.
When I use that string in the other, following After conn statement I get a different error. See below:

Before: conn = New SqlConnection("Server=localhost; uid=sa;pwd=;database=Northwind")
After: conn = New SqlConnection("Server=D9E47C800B\SQLEXPRESS; uid=sa;pwd=;database=Northwind")

Error msg:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)

I am heartened by the remark that a connection was successful. So, it looks like it doesn’t like any form of ‘local’ for a db name. I have no clue on what it means about no process on the other end.

VV