View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Friend of Wrox

Imar:

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry it's taking so long but ongoing business has high priority.

Yes, I have sql server management studio express and am using it to create a new db. BTW, Northwind was not connected but now it is. Still unable to connect to it tho...

I have the following string in my little webserver code and suspect that the url: www.FTA.net which does not actually exist may be what is preventing me from connecting. I am not sure tho because I believe the url only represents a unique string and is not
actually accessed. But I'm not sure about that. You might set me straight on that.

<WebService(Namespace:="http://www.FTA.net/customers", Description:="FTA web service")> _
<WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo:=WsiProfiles.BasicPr ofile1_1)> _
<Global.Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Des ignerGenerated()> _
Public Class Customers ...
...class definition follows, and is unchanged from earlier code.

So, I have spend much of today creating a SQL express database using the sql server management studio express facility. And Wow, what an exercise in frustration. I have successfully created 5 tables as the dbo, and have attempted to enter a record in the first one. It will not accept the data. Keeps giving an error messages as follows:

No row was updated.
The data in row 1 was not committed.
Error Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider.
Error Message: String or binary data would be truncated.
The statement has been terminated.

There is nothing wrong with the data. The field calls for a varchar(10) and I am keying in (without quotes) "Active".

If I make that file one that will accept Null and then null it out, SQL objects to some other field, and on and on...

Almost ready to throw out SQL 2005 Express and re-install SQL 2000.

VV