View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:13 AM

I am having the same problem as Dynamicarray is, same exact error. My question is I don't know how to tell if SQL Server Express is running or not, or if it is configured correctly. When I press Start and All Programs, I see Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then I press that icon, and I get the Configuration tools folder with the following items: SQL Server Configuration Manager, Error and Usage Reporting, and Surface Area Configuration. Does that mean Microsoft SQL 2005 Express Edition is set up? Do I have to change anything with the Configuration tools? Should there be an executable for Microsoft SQL 2005 Express Edition that I should click on. I checked in the Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition, and the icon is there for the SQL Database in Add New Item under Program. The problem I'm having with chapter 3 of Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition is knowing how to tell if everything is set up correctly for the SQL Database, or as I mentioned before do I have to configure anything with the configuration tools. This Wrox Press book doesn't give enough information about Microsoft SQL 2005 Express Edition setup or configuration. I have sat here for hours tring to figure how to bring up this database which shouldn't have taken more than a couple of minutes. Usually, I like Wrox materials, but I wouldn't give this to a beginning programmer, unless I hated that person.

Jim Bagby