View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Hey there,

This is Joe from Abound Inc. I spent some time on this issue and found the simple solution. You simply need to create a template field for the field you want to set a default value for. In the template field ASP.Net is very flexible in that you can put any type of control in there whether it be a label, text box, checkbox etc... You set the value for that template field by making a call to a method you create in the code-behind file. I have a page called Clients.aspx where I have a gridview and detailsview. In this page I set it up so that when the user clicks to add a new client, the COMPANY_ID field is set to session variable and cannot be changed by the user.

In the Clients.aspx file the code for the template field looks like this:

Code:
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="COMPANY_ID" SortExpression="COMPANY_ID">
                <EditItemTemplate>
                    <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("COMPANY_ID") %>'></asp:Label>
                </EditItemTemplate>
                <InsertItemTemplate>
                    &nbsp;
                    <asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Text='<%# GetCompanyID() %>'></asp:Label>
                </InsertItemTemplate>
                <ItemTemplate>
                    <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("COMPANY_ID") %>'></asp:Label>
                </ItemTemplate>
            </asp:TemplateField>

Notice the call to GetCompanyID() in the InsertItemTemplate. That method is defined in the code-behind file (Clients.aspx.cs):

Code:
protected String GetCompanyID()
    {
        String sCompany = "";
        if (Session["company_id"] != null)
        {
            sCompany = (string)Session["company_id"];
        }
        else
        {
            sCompany = "0";
        }