View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

This seems to usually be a matter of personal preference.

Typically the major and minor version numbers easy to dictate. You simply need to decide what they are based on the release of your software.

From what I've read Microsoft applies the build number as a date. For example, v2 of the framework is this version:

It's major version 2, minor 0, built on 2005 July(07) 27th. Using this method makes it easy to see when a particular assembly was created.

I've yet to find any explanations as to what the revision number represents. I've used CruiseControl.NET to fire off release builds of software. If that case I've set up the build system to set the revision number to the incremental build number that comes from CruiseControl. This provides an association between a given assembly and a particular build that is logged and archived.

Unfortunately there isn't a cut and dried standard for versioning. Like everything else in software, there are lots of ways of doing it, and it's up to the individual or organization to decide what's best. The important thing is to be consistent with all your systems.

-Peter