View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I've heard good things about hostgator, brinkster, godaddy. A lot of them are same ol' same ol' when you read their literature. I recommend talking to them and asking very specific questions about what you want. This tells you two things. First and most obviously, this tells you how good their support is. You want to know how responsive they are (when and if you can get in touch with them) and how knowledgeable they are. The other issue is to make really certain that what you want is available on the packages you're looking at. A friend of mine is a freelance developer and signed a client up with godaddy because they offered ASP.NET on a relatively inexpensive package. They got very sophisticated database functionality working, but couldn't get the relatively simple email up and running. Turns out godaddy didn't permit access to the mail server on their account. He had to go back to the client and tell them that it would cost them another $20 a month to upgrade to a VPS account. The client decided it was worth it, but that's never a pleasant situation to get stuck in. Find out if they permit the specific functions you need, get specific.

-------------------------

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
-Johann von Goethe

When Two Hearts Race... Both Win.
-Dove Chocolate Wrapper

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of www.EarthChronicle.com
A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.