View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Authorized User

Yes, I did get your email, Imar. To be fair I don't like computers in the first place. I have no patience for them. I expect them to do what they're told, when they're told; and have no tolerance for them telling me they can't do something, especially when they spit back a page of some meaningless garbage that only Microsoft can understand. That is a skill ASP is exceedingly good at. I use them because I have to, not out of desire.

If ASP is so complex, then what is the point of the book? Is it to learn ASP, or is it to learn VWD? I don't know. I'm so confused I don't even know where to start. And the total lack of any support documentation for VWD, in true Microsoft fashion...well...I won't go there.

It took me 6 weeks to write 3200 lines of code for the Macro I'm trying to migrate (what the heck is a macro anyway?). That experience was painful enough. Now, because of limitations in Excel and company policy against using Access, I'm being forced to make this thing into a web format. ASP seemed to be the best approach, primarily from the database standpoint, but also because I could use VB, which is what I used for the macro. So far, in 6 weeks of "using" ASP all I have is most of the layout of one page with a drop down list that steadfastly refuses to do what I want. Why?, because some moron decided a drop down list can only use two columns in a database table. I need eleven. So, that's forcing me to resort to Select/case and if/then statements, which of course, defeats the whole purpose of having a database table in the first place. What a brilliant design.... And this is only the beginning.

I need a resource that gives me enough basic information to have some clue as to what to search for in Google. To me, that means there needs to be a glossary for important "code words" (I use that term deliberately as I don't know what else to call them), and a VERY thorough explanation of them (even if it means dumbing it down to a third grade level). That also means that if they can be manipulated you take the time to explain how and what each part of the command is supposed to do and how to structure them. This book failed in that regard. The figure I mentioned in the email was a good example of what I'm talking about. If there are too many available "code words" that's fine; refer the reader to another book, which you did throughout. But for Pete's sake explain the ones you do use. I stand by my assertion that the book was written for someone with more than none to minimal programming experience. What little I have was quite insufficient to understand what was being presented in this book.

Chris Nichols