View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 70,322, Level: 100 Points: 70,322, Level: 100 Points: 70,322, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

You don't inherit a "namespacehere", you inherit a "classnamehere" Although this sounds like nitpicking, it's an important difference.

Your ASPX pages have the behavior they have because they inherit from Page. The ASP.NET supplies a Page class with page-like behavior. As soon as you inherit from such a class, your page behaves like a Page as well.

Similarly, a MasterPage inherits from MasterPage which gives it MasterPage like behavior.

Consider a an example like Animal versus Cow. A Cow inherits from Animal which gives it animal like behavior. A Car inherits from Vehicle which gives it vehicle like behavior. You can't make a Cow inherit from Vehicle and give it wheels (although they seen to do that many years ago)

When you inherit from a BasePage, you introduce a new in-between later. So:

Code:

System.Web.UI.Page
  + YourPage
becomes:

Code:

System.Web.UI.Page
  + BasePage
    + YourPage
Likewise, you could have a new hierarchy for Master Pages:

Code:

System.Web.UI.MasterPage
  + BaseMasterPage
    + YourMasterPage
In order to do this, simple create a class similar to BasePage, call it BaseMasterPage (or whatever you see fit), let that class inherit MasterPage and make your master pages inherit your new BaseMasterPage class.

Quote:
thinking about the logic that you would put in the base page could you give me an example?
The BasePage in the Planet Wrox site has a good example: checking the title, although there are many more applications for a BasePage. Stuff like globally assigning titles, keywords, descriptions, security checks etc come to mind.

Quote:
And you say the master page can't inherit from the Base Page but is that just me using the terms wrong? eg:

Could the masterpage.master file not have an inherits "namespacehere" ?
No, it can't. MasterPage ultimately must inherit MasterPage, while pages must inherit Page somehow. An intermediate class (or more) is fine, as long as somehow some class inherits Page.
Quote:
Or do you put that code in the codebehind files of the individual pages ?
Not sure what you mean by this. Code can be put in code behind files of Pages and MasterPages and in "code classes" like BasePage.

Quote:
In any case do you mean server side code runs on the basepage and client side code would be put in a master page or normal page?
No, not at all. You can put server side code in Pages, MasterPages and in code classes. What I said was that stuff like Google tracking code is markup and as such belongs, IMO, in markup capable pages like those with an .ascx, aspx and .master extension. But again: it's a matter of preference. You could, as I said in my earlier post, generate client side code from server side code in a class Like BasePage. Not pretty, but it would work. If I weren't using MasterPages, I would put the Google code in all of my .aspx pages, or maybe I would create it programmatically in BasePage. However, since you're using MasterPages, they would be a perfect candidate for storing scripts like that.

Does this clarify things?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Last edited by Imar; March 5th, 2009 at 06:42 PM..