View Single Post

Old March 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,906, Level: 58 Points: 17,906, Level: 58 Points: 17,906, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

miskovic:
The book is not a personal contract or guarantee of services for the author to answer your questions. Wrox authors do better at answering their reader questions than any other technical publisher. However they do this as a favor, not as a contractual obligation.
If you know of a publisher who consistently does better than our authors do at answering readers, point me to their forum, let me see the evidence. I'll watch what they do and see how we can improve.
Nicholas and the other authors may have missed this particular question. I'll remind them of it. I know they tirelessly respond not only here, but also to errata reported through our technical support forms. And you know what? Many of those customer reported errors are errors on the reader's part, not the authors.
Your error report here may indeed be correct. And I'll ask the authors to look at it. However, a simple "I've spent 2 days on this and I'm sure the book is wrong, can someone please help" might have been a much better way to solicit help.
Was the book checked technically? yes. Examples a disaster and full of errors? Well, 1 error is too many. But I'm not aware of any technical book from any publisher that's perfect. This book has been published for 2 years and read by thousands of readers and the extent of the verified technical errors is here, 2 of them:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...Cd-ERRATA.html
There may be more, and we'll be happy to add yours to the list if you are right.
We welcome your participation here. We hope that your continued participation will involve polite conversation even in instances where you are upset.
Thanks.