View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
Hello. Probably you can't find the file because IIS doesn't have permitions to reach it??

Anyway, if this is one time process, just use internal SQL to upload the file to any table and them update the correct table. That will be a lot faster and will avoid any problems...
You may be right about that, but if that's the case, I have no idea how to correct the permissions. Also, I'm only using Visual Web Developer Express 2008, so I don't think I have the full IIS 7.0 installed on my computer (unless it's part of the install).

And yes, it will be a one-time process, but I don't know what you mean by, "just use internal SQL to upload the file to any table and them update the correct table". I'm only on chapter 14 of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 and he hasn't talked about stuff like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Dumond View Post
First, you say you want to do this "at runtime." This makes no sense given what you've said. To do it at runtime would mean you want to do it on the fly while the program is running. Why would you need to do that if this is only a one-time thing to replace some missing values?

Second, the existing IDs and categories might not match what you had before unless the values in the text file are in the exact order as the existing values.
Thanks for the reply, and sorry that I confused you. Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. I suppose you're right. Doing it at runtime would be a dumb idea. I just want to fix them one time, as I already have almost all the original "Name" values loaded into my text file. Thanks for clearing that up.
  2. As far as the ID's and Categories, it's not a big deal at all. This was my SQL table I've ever created, and it's more just to learn this stuff. The specific ID's don't matter at all at this point because I haven't referenced the records in my code at all yet.
  3. About the Categories, that's not a biggie either, because they didn't have any data in them (I screwed up the Name column before I could get anything entered :D). I actually have another table with category names & ID's that I'll use as choices (from a dropdown box) for my original table. I'm actually having trouble with that too, and have posted about it here: Using a dropdown box in a GridView - How do I update the record with the dd's value?. That's another issue I'm having a tough time with as well.
I hope that made a bit more sense, and I again appreciate your help. This has already proved more fruitful than the ASP.NET forums :)