View Single Post

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparsons View Post
O.o Really? I guess I should call up the guys working on DotNetNuke and tell them that they aren't really "professional" since that entire CMS is wrote in VB, eh? While it may be your opinion that C# is the choice of "professionals" the fact of the matter is that you gain nothing by using C# over VB.NET since, at the end of the day, it all compiles down into IL and so forth.

As far as the logic goes in only providing VB.NET examples in the book my guess would be that it ultimately came down to a page count issue with the book. Since the code examples in this book tend to be extensive it seems silly to duplicate the code again in C# when it is a trivial task to convert VB.NET to C# and vice versa.

-Doug
Hi dParsons

I haven't been writing anything here on this forum before, but have been an very active reader. The decision to not make the new book available in c# was the main reason for making a post - out of frustration i guess

Perhaps I should not have come with such a strong argument, that "C# is the language of choice of professional asp.net developers" as I did not intend to start a religious war over which language is better , but reality here where i am based(Denmark) is that if you want a job in the asp.net field you have to have advanced skills in C#. There are almost no job offers for people with VB skills compared to C#.

Sure there are plenty of VB programmers here, but they are almost entirely "self learned" programmers with no theoretical education in programming. Every person that i know programming for asp.net, which has the slightest theoretical education in computer science/software engineering do not use VB.

The situation is to the best of my knowledge the same in the rest of Europe. Not sure if the same applies for USA where i can see you are based.

The 2.0 book is fairly advanced, and as such a great help for people working with asp.net on a daily basis and especially people intending to do so in the future (that's me ).

By only making this book available in VB, you are writing off a large part of the original audience for this book, who were looking forward to extend their knowledge even further, and gain some experience with asp.net 3.5. The hard fact's are, that we still have to use C#, as it is the language of choice by the software industry where i am based(not going to say professionals this time ), and in my case also by choice because i prefer C#.

In my case, i also do not have very good knowledge of VB, and even though it should be relative simple to learn it, i don't want to spend(waste) time learning VB, just so that i can read the new book. I got the feeling that a lot of the other readers of the asp.net 2.0 book feel the same way. In a sense i think many of us feel that wrox is letting the buyers of this version of the book down - or that is at least what i feel.