View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

What you are referring to is called "security by obscurity" which is a bad thing. E.g. you think your application is safer because data is harder to guess. However, it's still open and guessable, and thus insecure.

Is it an option to check on the destination page whether the user has the correct permissions? E.g.:
Quote:
contentId = Request.QueryString("Id")
If CheckUser(contentId) = False Then
Response.Redirect("NoRights.asp")
End If

' Get the item from the database.
Your CheckUser method could then check whether the user is allowed to view the item or not. How you check that depends on your application.

BTW: I think the long IDs you are referring to are not obscured simple IDs, but true, long IDs. Windows, for instance, has the notion of a GUID - a Globally Unique Identifier which is typically a long string (36 characters if I am not mistaken). It's not obscured, it's just very unique and thus very long ;-)

Hope this helps,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!