View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Default Read the book? I need you!

I believe I fit the criteria of those to whom this book is suited. IE a procedural programmer looking to start OOP'ing up some of my work. This book seemed pretty good, so, like you guys - I bought it.

However, 11 pages in I was greeted by 'exceptions'. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but exceptions kinda go hand in hand with oop, don't they? "Excellent," I thought - exceptions! I'll just flick to the index and read up a bit on exceptions. WASTE OF TIME - they're not covered.

Not a problem as it seemed that understanding exceptions wasn't vital in understanding the code I was looking at (code beginning P13).

I read on, got to page 17 (and as I now know through a bit of Googleling) came up against 'type hints'. Did I have a clue what was going on? Were they introduced pre-code or explained post-code? After discovering what exactly I was looking at and finding out what they're called I looked in the index for them.. were they listed?

No. No. No.

(( The code was 'public function hunt(Prey $objPrey) {' ))

Already this book is proving hard work and I severely doubt it will be a self-contained reference. Can someone who's read this book through please tell me if this kind of thing is a common occurence while reading through Professional PHP 5 please? I'm sure that there's plenty of FANTASTIC material in here but is reading cover to cover really the best way to get at it?