View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to fourpastmidnight Send a message via MSN to fourpastmidnight Send a message via Yahoo to fourpastmidnight
Thumbs down I'm disappointed with this book

I'm very disappointed with this book. I came to this forum searching Google for where the ServiceAttribute and HttpPostOnlyAttribute classes were in the .NET Framework, only to find out they don't exist, but are in this ManagedFusion.dll.

Now, I'm not against having a separate library, but not once did the book mention needing to make a reference to this assembly in the project. Like another poster commented, I'm using the book as a learning guide/tutorial. I expected from the title, "Problem, Design, Solution", that this was a step-by-step guide (not necessarily for beginners, but a step-by-step guide nonetheless). To make people have to try to guess how you "designed" this application is poor, given the title of this book. In this regard, I thought the original ASP.Net 2.0 book by Marco for this website was better.

Also, why did you completely re-engineer the membership section of the site? The default MVC 1.0 application template provided a fairly complete account management controller. It even validated certain fields during membership registration which your incarnation of the wheel did not even take into account (would that make it a square wheel?), possibly making the site much less secure. If there's functionality already written, use it, unless it's really really bad. There's nothing worse than re-creating the wheel. Keep it DRY.

I also fault the book with not using very good semantic markup and too much use of inline styles (esepecially in the ManageUser.aspx page). Also, the editor on this book did not do a good job.

I appreciate the fact that you guys even went out to write this book. I appreciate what you're trying to get across. But these issues I've listed above really take away a lot of the good you were trying to get across.

Don't take this too presonally, as I've seen this in Wrox books a lot over the past 5 years. The quality of books going to print (and not just Wrox, I might add) has really gone down and it's a real shame. If you're going to set out to teach, do it well and do it right. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Another really positive note (as opposed to my mostly negative ones ) : I really liked the discussion in this thread over the use of AcceptVerb vs. HttpPostOnly. I think that the author is correct in his assertions. I was under the assumption that AcceptVerb was a security measure. Upon closer inspection, this was an incorrect view. I was shocked and glad I haven't yet developed a site with MVC, as I would have inappropriately used that attribute for security when it really is a hint to the routing engine and that's it.

I sure hope the next edition of this book will have better use of semantic markup and will clearly explain all the steps needed to design a solution to the problem discussed, as the title implies. I also hope that the use of the DRY principle will also be increased. I hope that next time, I'll be commenting on how good the next edition of this book is.

Sincere Regards,

fourpastmidnight

Last edited by fourpastmidnight; May 27th, 2010 at 09:20 AM..