View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ahhhh... OK, that does explain your situation much better.

XHTML, CSS, and Javascript all work in a browser. You can use them freely.

Most everything else, ASP, .NET, PHP, Java, etc. are server-side languages. That's why your ASP files are producing code instead of the actual web page you want. The .asp file is a mix of XHTML and your ASP code. However, your .asp files needs some kind of processor to read your ASP code, react to it, and render the appropriate XHTML-only document which it then sends to the user's browser (in this case... You!)

Server side processors are pre-installed or you have to manually install them so the server knows how to interpret the code you're passing to it. Since you don't have IIS, a standard server-side processor isn't going to work, because there's no server to make use of it when you try to access a page.

I would say your best bet is to download Visual Studio 2010 Express. It has a development server that corresponds very well to IIS (as in, I can't remember a discrepancy between my development and production server in the five years I've been programming). You start up one of your applications and it allows you to work in code and test the results live. It's a feature called edit and continue, but you'll just care that it reduces your risk as you program your modules. That being said, I've never tried to use it with ASP files. As long as an ASP processor is installed on your computer, I think it should work. (for all I know, it's probably built into windows or the .NET framework).

The flip side is that ASP is definitely not a current generation technology, so if you haven't started programming in .NET already, this might be the perfect time to jump into C#.

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
-Johann von Goethe

When Two Hearts Race... Both Win.
-Dove Chocolate Wrapper

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of www.EarthChronicle.com
A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.