View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

There should be some structure. Each chapter should contain example directories. Each of those should contain project files and a My Project directory that contains other project files. Visual Studio needs them all to be in the places it expects or it gets confused. (I think Microsoft scattered things about like this to hide files that you normally don't edit directly such as the resources and settings files.)

Probably the easiest way to extract the files is to double-click on the zip file to open it in Windows Explorer. If you have the full project in one zip file, drill down into (for example) the Ch06.zip file inside the big zip file. When you find the Ch06 directory, drag it onto the desktop (or wherever). You should be able to open the new Ch06 directory and see the sub-directories and their My Projects directories.

If you have the separate chapter zip files, you only need to drill down 1 level before you get to the Ch06 directory, which you can drag onto the desktop.

(Don't just pull out the project files. It's hard to get all of them and their support files in the correct places so Visual Studio doesn't get confused.)

If you're still not seeing the sub-directories (including My Project), then something is wrong with the file or it's not unzipping properly. You might want to get new copies of the files. I would start with a single smaller file to make sure it works before you download everything.

You can get the files for this edition at:

http://www.vb-helper.com/vb_prog_ref_source_3e.html

Let me know if you're still stuck. I'm on the road right now but will reply when I can.

Rod Stephens, Microsoft MVP

Essential Algorithms: A Practical Approach to Computer Algorithms

(Please post reviews at Amazon or wherever you shop!)