View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100 Points: 72,035, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Also, can you repost your relevant code and then use the Remove Text Formatting button on the toolbar before you wrap the code in code tags (also on the toolbar). Because of a bug in this form, code pasted from Visual Studio gets messed up real bad.
Please use the Remove Text Formatting button when you post code, or else it's almost impossible to read it. Notice how many spaces are gone.....

In the article, they are using a typed DataSet: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...+typed+dataset which is used to access the database. Instead of a typed dataset, you could also use other technologies such as Linq to SQL or the Entity Framework. Are you already using one of those, or did you use controls such as the SqlDataSource control only? Either way, in the service method you need to some way to access a database and get the "second level" data based on what was passed to your GetMakes method.

You may want to get a copy of my book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 in C# and VB or the more recent Beginning ASP.NET 4 in C# and VB (see my signature for links). Besides explaining how to work with data and databases in ASP.NET in general, there's a whole chapter on LINQ to SQL (3.5 version) and Entity Framework (4.0) that shows you how you could access the database using these technologies from code which makes it easy to accomplish the task you're working on right now.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!