View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Authorized User

ah! I didn't realise that, didn't even think that I had changed anything in the control, as a result of my actions. It really does feel like I'm "hacking the application", the way Visual Studio makes me work. Very odd feeling.

You know, three years ago next month, I posted I'd be going down to Borders and buying your book (I just checked out some of my old posts) in order to learn about Visual Studio. In the end I gave up and decided to stick to classic asp and also learn Linux/LAMP, because I couldn't figure out how to "break the controls open" in order to get at labels, texts, datasources etc etc... I just didn't think Visual Studio was for me.

Now I'm back at it, have to use it to create my 'proof of concept' site and, I think I'm actually beginning not to hate it (mostly thanks to reading your and your fellow authors' posts here, much better than following a video like a monkey, as a few people advised me to do).

Is there an intermediate level book that you would recommend, I tend to learn the beginner's stuff from messing with the code myself but where I come unstuck is in things like the above, which you're only going to know to expect if you understand the tool well (which I obviously do not).

I'm comfortable with setting up multi-page queries, session variables, "hacking" the login/roles controls in order to generate roles-specific content etc... I'm quite ignorant on the security implications of most of what I do, I have no real understanding of how the controls are created (and, as such, what the proper way is to extend them and to integrate them together for complex solutions).

Last edited by murshed; January 16th, 2011 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: poor english.