View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Authorized User
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi, I'm afraid I have not read any PHP books in quite a while, so I would not like to make any personal recommendations (although I do tend to use quite a few Wrox books - so I would probably have a look there for starters).

As far as WordPress goes, there are lots of people from freelancers to large digital agencies that build sites for clients on WordPress. On the bottom right of the WordPress.org home page you will see some of the people who use it - and a link to a showcase of sites built with it.

You don't have to charge for using the WordPress code; you are charging for the time it takes for you to understand your client's business needs, design the site, create templates that match your design, set up the site with their information, and show them how to update it. You can also charge an ongoing retainer for support / hosting / updating the site.

It takes so long to build a CMS as powerful and with so many features as WordPress (or Drupal, or Joomla), that you would save yourself a lot of time if you customised an existing open source project for standard types of websites. You also benefit from the community who update and create extra modules for it (rather than always having to implement new functionality yourself).

I'm not saying that you should not build you own CMS at some stage, rather that if you are looking for the next step to take after learning HTML + CSS, and want to create sites for clients, then you might find that learning to use something like WordPress allows you to build some very powerful and complex sites far quicker than you would be able to if you were writing your own CMS.

All the best!
The Following User Says Thank You to bitnap For This Useful Post:
bookreader_rap (March 24th, 2011)