View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I've seen studies that claim 80% or more of all Visual Basic involve a database, and I believe it. Because there's so much market (and money) at stake, Microsoft can't pick something and leave it alone. There have been so many "latest and greatest" database tools over the years that I can't even remember them any more.

I'm a bit of a control freak, too, when it comes to databases so many of the programs I've written don't use the latest easy method. Instead they use connection objects to load data and then process it more directly. It's a bit more work but you get a lot more control over exactly what's happening. If you package the work in nice routines, it's pretty reliable and reusable.

Also the standard solutions tend to have models that don't work well with some of the applications I've worked on. For example, a recordset or dataset takes a snapshot of a big piece of the database. That works okay if you're the only user but can be a problem if there are lots of users working on the same tables. Then you need to build your own synchronization tools. It's not terribly hard to do something like set a field in a record to indicate that a particular user is working on it but things like data binding and Entity Framework don't do it for you.

Rod Stephens, Microsoft MVP

Essential Algorithms: A Practical Approach to Computer Algorithms

(Please post reviews at Amazon or wherever you shop!)