View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Oh yes. Regarding your suggestions for a new edition. They're good suggestions. I do want to try to keep the book as vendor-neutral as possible but it might be helpful to include some concrete examples in specific databases such as Access, SQL Server, or MySQL.

Unfortunately examples like that can take up a lot of space so putting a full example in the printed book might mean leaving other information out. Perhaps I can build some examples to post on the book's web pages.

Using bound controls can be very convenient. Unfortunately because database programming is so important to so many applications, the libraries get changed a lot so every release of Visual Studio, for example, seems to include new classes for manipulating databases. That means any specific example is outdated by the next release. Often you can keep running the program for quite a while but you fall off the technology curve. (Most recently WPF has greatly changed the way you do data binding.)

In many programs I skip the automatic binding and do it myself. I write code in a separate module to fetch the data and display it in ListBoxes, ComboBoxes, TextBoxes, or whatever other controls are useful. It only takes a little more work but I have more complete control over when, where and how the data is displayed. (For example, binding a ComboBox to multiple database tables is hard.)

Most importantly when there's a new release, my code still works. Even if the underlying database operations change (and they change much less often than the controls and binding methods), I only need to update my database module and I'm good to go again.

Anyway, I may try to put some more concrete examples and some data binding examples in the next edition. Or they may be available for download. I'll have to see what the publisher thinks would be the best use of pages for readers in general (and not just Visual Studio users).

Keep those suggestion coming! They're very helpful.

Rod Stephens, Microsoft MVP

Essential Algorithms: A Practical Approach to Computer Algorithms

(Please post reviews at Amazon or wherever you shop!)