View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
I was wondering if you know why Visual Studio opens an app and says "preparing solution", then finishes up with no other message, and the app seems to run fine? ... Maybe a better question would be...when opening a project done in VB.NET 2008 and opening it in VB.NET 2010 and letting the Visual Studio fix or convert it, isn't that a permanent fix if saved?
You could try to re-open the project in VB 2008 and see if VB 2010 has made it unopenable. If not, then it might be bending over backwards to maintain compatibility. (I don't know offhand if it does.) It's possible that this is causing the message.

If that's not it, then it may be some sort of configuration issue that you'll probably never figure out. This definitely falls into the category of "if it works don't worry about it." People who try to fix this sort of issue sometimes need to reinstall Visual Studio and rarely the whole system to get rid of essentially harmless messages. (If they don't go insane first. )

Quote:
One other note, I have had some time to get started with the book and video's and the video's have kept me glued to the screen. Great job. I have learned that one should not skip the first few chapters thinking it's old news because they are coming from VB Classic. I initially jumped around in the video's but stopped and started from chapter 1 and will view them all. When I see things that are new I grab the book and research more on the info taken from the video. I have learned new stuff even in the first chapter. I think the compiler gets confused sometimes in your video's because you type so fast it can't keep up! Did you ever figure out why the compiler will cause you to have to start over yet?
I found it quite hard to strike a balance in the videos between talking and typing. I normally type much faster than I do in the videos and I use IntelliSense a lot to generate a lot of code much faster than you could reasonably watch and figure out what I'm doing.

There are a few places where if I didn't do things in the proper order Visual Studio got confused. I blame some of that on it being an early release of that version of Visual Studio. It may have been fixed but I haven't tried to go back and reproduce everything to see if the problems are still there.

Normally Visual Studio doesn't get confused just because I'm going fast. It gets confused because I add something, delete it, and there's some piece left over somewhere in some automatically generated code that later confuses things. Fortunately those occasions are fairly uncommon so it's not usually a huge problem.

BUT here are a couple of tips:
  1. Save your work often. Every time you run a program, Visual Studio automatically saves it so you're okay of you test things once in a while. If you're typing a huge block of code, save manually once in a while.
  2. Save a backup before you make major or risky changes. If you're about to restructure a program, use Windows Explorer to save a copy of the whole project tree just in case. Then if you mess things up too badly, you can get the old version back. You can always delete the unneeded version later. (In many big projects I make a new copy every day just to be safe, and I often make one or more other copies during the day when I'm about to do something confusing.)
  3. Finally once in a while the form editor just gets really messed up. Not too often. In those cases you can either edit the automatically-generated code by hand (which takes some practice) or you can start over. It's worth peeking inside those files once in a while to see how they work just in case, but I'm definitely not too proud to start over on a small program!

Rod Stephens, Microsoft MVP

Essential Algorithms: A Practical Approach to Computer Algorithms

(Please post reviews at Amazon or wherever you shop!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Stephens For This Useful Post:
Davebert (December 18th, 2011)