Old February 6th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 4,007, Level: 26 Points: 4,007, Level: 26 Points: 4,007, Level: 26
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via ICQ to SerranoG Send a message via AIM to SerranoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEFFANI View Post
When the user selects the combobox there are hundreds of smiths. Do I have to make a new form with a subform so it's done right or can I just add a new field to somehow limit the customer information to one record?
I'm not sure of what you're asking. Are you saying that the user selects a last name and then you want to look up and auto-populate the rest of the fields?

If so, doing it on last name only is not enough. To auto-populate, you need to narrow the search so that it finds just one record. To do that, you can only do that for order number.

If you did it via, say, last & first names then you might get one record, but then again that person may have lots of order numbers. If you wanted to pick one, you'd have to choose both a first and last name and then show a subform that lists all the orders for that name (realizing that two different people could have the same first and last names). To differentiate among all users with the same last & first name, the subform could have a column with a customer ID that shows you which "John Smith" is which, for example.