View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 6,664, Level: 34 Points: 6,664, Level: 34 Points: 6,664, Level: 34
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to mat41

Hi Mojo36 - Lucky you, you could not have a more qualified person (Hi Imar) to respond to your post. A very detailed response which im sure a fair number of people will find extremely useful! They should mark this post 'a great read'

I just though I would let you know I am still in 'the cupboard' you talk about having coded Classic ASP for 10+ years. Our office here in Australia are of course supporting existing Classic ASP systems, but continue to build new ones! As i sure you are well aware, classic ASP still works the same even thought its growth from MS has stopped.

About a year (or two...) ago we had a lull and I thought I had better up-skill (primarily because I wanted leverage for a performance/pay review) so I bought Imars ASP.NET 3.5 in C# and VB and went through it front to back. This was an excellent introduction to the .net world. Providing you do all the examples it was a well thought out learning curve. After this I did one 'real job' in ASP.net however purely because of demand I have been back using in the classic world ever since.

Even though the .net world seems to have excellent state management (from my limited experience a significant improvement), scalability, interoperability and a comprehensive set of tools that allow better functionality I can still build a system in around two thirds of the time. EG outgoing proposals in our office are like this. If I quote 60 days to build a system in classic ASP, the same system will be quoted around 80 days in .net - In this situation it will cost the client 80k for the classic build and 105k for the .net build........

Anyhow I have probably said enough, my objective here was to hopefully add some value to this post and to give Mojo36 the news that there are guys still coding in 'the cupboard'
The Following User Says Thank You to mat41 For This Useful Post:
Imar (February 7th, 2012)