View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,905, Level: 17 Points: 1,905, Level: 17 Points: 1,905, Level: 17
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default A ringing Endorsement for Wrox! Code from one of your competitor's books

I thought that you might find this interesting but one of your competitors that writes books about .NET had the following code in their book.
Code:
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
//using System.Web;
//using System.Web.UI;
//using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Text;

public partial class LINQDefault2 : System.Web.UI.Page
{
    protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        AdventureWorksDataContext dataContext = new AdventureWorksDataContext();
        var employees = from emp in dataContext.Employees
                        where e.Gender == 'F'
                        select emp;
        foreach(var employee in employees)
            Response.Write(employee.EmployeeID + "<br />");
    }
}
It took me a little while (about five minutes) but I figured out why this code was giving me compile errors. I fixed this problem This is bad. See if you want the challenge to fix this code.
There is one thing for certain, these people that wrote this book won't be stealing or taking any money away from you or Wrox anytime soon. Wrox books are the best there is out there in the market, and I give them a very ringing endorsement for their products. My question then becomes how responsive is Wrox to the errata that is submitted by the users of their books?
But my other question is if I wanted to write the output of the employeeId number in the code up above to a Gridview or a Listbox what do you think is the quickest and easiest approach to take?

Thank you once again!
The Following User Says Thank You to vbboyd For This Useful Post:
jminatel (March 16th, 2012)