Old March 20th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Authorized User
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjones View Post
Aloha everyone,

My name is Bud and I'm currently living in Honolulu. I have an iOS development company, but am really new to Objective-C. I've only written four apps, and they're simple database-driven (SQLite) apps. I've always wanted to create a good game, but didn't know where to begin.

To make a long story short, I got Beginning iOS Game Development and have been going through the book. I got stuck in the Blocker project, because when I run the app the first time (pg 195), it compiles and runs, but no blocks are created.

I got confused when the author writes "Users of your class will pass you a frame size and a color to initialize block of a specified color." Where, exactly, does the user pass on this information? What I think is happening is that when the init method of the BlockView.m file is called, it doesn't know the value of inputColor and just executes the rest of the code without creating the blocks. All I get is a grey screen. I've been over and over the code, but can't find the error. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Question: how far in the chapter did you get before you compiled? This part of the chapter you set up the block to allow a size and color parameters. later in the chapter you create a 5x3 array of colored bricks. But if you compiled right here, there should be no zero bricks yet.

(I have the kindle version, so I'm not sure where page 195 is)