View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,905, Level: 17 Points: 1,905, Level: 17 Points: 1,905, Level: 17
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default The gridview question.

Hypothetical question...........
Lets just say for instance that your company, Imar Productions, wants to look at customer orders on a webform using a gridview. So lets say for instance that the managers of your company would like to look at customer order information based on certain criteria. Like say for instance the managers of your company would like to look at customer information based on the state that the customers reside in like Wyoming or Indiana. Or they would like to look at customer order information based on the regional areas that are based on zip code. Or they would like to look at customer order information based on items that were sold like, CDs, Tshirts, Concert Posters etc,etc. Or they would like to see customer information based on the dollar size of the customer order within certain ranges like over 500 dollars or more than 1000 dollars or less than 100 dollars etc. etc.
So suppose you have drop down list boxes for each of these criteria that are used to displayed customer order database information in the gridview. You would have one drop down list box for the type of merchandise ordered, another one for the customer dollar amount with various different dollar value ranges, another drop down list box with the customer order zip code and another for the state the customer order originated from, so that say for instance the managers of your company could look all the customers in Oregon who had orders of over 500 dollars. Or for instance the managers of your company might like to look at Customers in Wyoming who ordered at least $100 worth of Tshirts.
Using the smart tag on the Grid View to launch the wizard is there any way to attach it to all of these drop list boxes at once to display information in the gridview that is chosen by the managers of your company so that any given random selection criteria based on information contained in the drop list boxes will be put into the SQL statement that displays the information in your gridview? In other words is there any way to dynamically create database information using drop down list boxes to be displayed in something like a gridview? Refresh my memory please do you do anything like this in your book anywhere? Forgive me because I can't recall every example that you have in your rather large voluminous and informative book.

Thanks once again.

PS I thought that this question might be a good example of real life issue that you might like to include any future books on ASP.NET that you might write.