View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tom View Post
I had to reply here... I think I have found a solution to the random loss of Session Variables issue on IIS6.

Here is what we experienced:
- Session variables seemed to just disappear for no apparent reason
- not reproducible on demand - erratic, sometimes happens every couple of seconds. sometimes it's fine for minutes.
- We have seen the session variables disappear for one page in the site and then re-appear for a different page (or even the same page) later on, not actually having lost the variable for good.
- we actually run those sites load-balanced and it only happened on one of the servers in the webfarm.

[u]Our Solution</u>
For some strange reason we had a non-default setting in the Application Pools Properties. The webgarden was configured to use a maximum of 2 worker processes. With this setting we had the server randomly using process 1 or 2... causing this erratic behavior.
[u]To fix this:</u>
- open the IIS management console
- get properties on: "Application Pools"
- tab to: "Performance"
- find the setting under "Web garden" and decrease the "Maximum Number of Worker Processes" to "1"
- do an IISReset and test your application

This worked for us and saved me a lot of time, as I was just about to re-build the server (I had all my hair pulled out already :(

Good luck to all!

Thomas
Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much! I was on the verge of tears here. Been fighting with the server for days, with a ton of users cursing up to my great-great-grandmother, by e-mail, with copy to the boss (nice co-workers I got, huh?!). And I was about to make a new server, but there is no need now.