View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Authorized User
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
1. This chapter doesn't even freaking talk about what a .aspx file is
When a user has filled in a form, and presses submit, the information is sent to a web server. The server then uses a programming language to process the data the user entered in the form.

Languages typically used on the server include ASP.Net, PHP, Ruby, Java etc... ASP.Net files end with the .aspx file extension, php files end with the .php extension etc.

Quote:
2. Do you expect me to already have enough money for a domain and hosting? What am I supposed to do when you say "example.org/example.aspx"
example.org is a domain name that was reserved for use in examples / samples that talk about code.

The action attribute of a form element indicates where the data from the form is sent to, so these code samples from that chapter are being sent to a fictional "example" server.

You can run HTML/XHTML files on your own machine without hosting, but if you want to run server-side code, then you would either need to purchase hosting OR you could setup a server on your desktop/laptop (but you can probably wait to do that until you get onto learning server-side code).

Quote:
3. It is impossible to make forms, because you don't explain how you make a .aspx and how to use it. So every time I press submit or done on any of my forms, it sends me to an "Invalid Directory" page.
You can create the forms using this chapter. What it does not teach you is how to deal with the information that users have entered into the forms.

On the opening page of that chapter, it does explain that XHTML (and therefore also HTML) are only helpful to create the form to show the user - they do not help you process the data that the user has entered, and that you need to learn a server-side language in order to make use of the form data.

The wide variety of things you can do with the data from a form (and it wouldn't easily fit in a chapter or two of a book like this), so once you are familiar with HTML & CSS, you could take up ASP.net / PHP / Ruby / Java / Node.js to learn more about that.

Hope that helps!