View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Authorized User
Points: 118, Level: 2 Points: 118, Level: 2 Points: 118, Level: 2
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Pro 4 looks interesting, though I'm really hoping that they'll remove the old classic ASP stuff one reviewer mentioned as being a prominent subject of the book--better to focus on the current language than the compare against an old one that doesn't need any attention, IMO. The main drawback of Pro 4 for me is that I don't want to buy it when a new version comes out in a month. :)

What I really would have liked to see is a follow-up to this book, one which takes the same approach of building a webpage, but with more advanced topics. That doesn't seem to be the focus of the Pro book at all, sadly. In its place, what I'd like is a good overall reference. Apress's Pro Asp.net 4.5 in C# is also not out yet (released in April), but their beginning book is structured a bit more like a reference than yours is, and covers some additional topics. I actually started that one before switching to yours (yours is much more readable.) I'll probably switch back to perusing through that one when I finish the last couple of chapters of your book. After that, I'm not sure where to head next.

As an additional question, is there a reason you didn't give any attention to FormView in your book? Both your book and the Apress Beginning Asp.net 4.5 book (which addressed it slightly) ignored it for the most part.

Last edited by Thermopyle; January 28th, 2013 at 03:21 PM..