View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

It's not the end of the world if you have a different set up. Just some commands will have different shortcuts. (It's kind of silly that Microsoft did this in the first place. If they just had one set of settings, everyone would be sued to them and it wouldn't matter. Plus they change them a bit in every release so getting used to them doesn't necessarily help in the long run.)

Anyway, I just tried it in Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop and I see what you mean. That's pretty strange. I suspect it's a bug. Either that or Microsoft thinks this is a feature that might encourage you to pay for a more expensive edition.

You could wade through the zillions of settings and set them they way you want. Unfortunately that would take forever and you probably couldn't figure out all of the settings. (I know I can't.)

I just reset my settings on a full version of Visual Studio 2012 to Visual Basic and exported them. If you like you can download them at:
http://www.csharphelper.com/Exported-2013-02-15.zip
Uncompress the file and then use the Tools > Import and Export Settings command to import them.

This may not get you exactly where I was when I wrote the book but I think it should be close.

I definitely wouldn't uninstall and reinstall. It would be a lot of work and you may not be able to change the settings in the Express Edition anyway.

Rod Stephens, Microsoft MVP

Essential Algorithms: A Practical Approach to Computer Algorithms

(Please post reviews at Amazon or wherever you shop!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rod Stephens For This Useful Post:
jlt777 (February 18th, 2013)