View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

I don't understand why you're bashing that book so much, even more because it's not even published. Is the price of Ultimate a reason to ban this book? Od. Do you ban books about Auto Cad because Auto Cad is expensive? How are people that do buy and use Ultimate supposed to learn the full feature set?

IMO, Ultimate is a very useful version of VS, and the more you can learn about it, the better. But more importantly: most likely 80 or 90 percent of what the book talks about runs fine on Pro or maybe even on the free Express. I haven't read the book (since it's not out), but I am pretty sure it will say something that in order to follow along with all examples, you need ultimate, but that many of the examples don't require it.

And on top of that: you can download a free 90-day trial of Ultimate. Combine that with free trials of Windows in a Virtual PC or Hyper V and you can study as long as you want in the biggest VS SKU without anything.

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
maurices5000 (September 5th, 2013)