View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,905, Level: 17 Points: 1,905, Level: 17 Points: 1,905, Level: 17
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Doing it without the SQL Server 2012

Okay well. I started doing your exercise on pages 426 and 427 and I didn't have the 2012 SQL Server Management studio tool to do the steps in the book. So I had to improvise a bit so I opened up Windows explorer on my desktop and and navigated around to find your SQL script that came with the download for your book that is located in Resources/Chapter12. Then I right clicked on your SQL server script and opened it up with notepad and copied it into memory. What I did then was to go to SQL menu inside the Visual Studio 2012 environment and then I selected the Transact SQL option in the drop down list which opened up a query window for me in Visual Studio 2012, whereupon I pasted the contents of your SQL script into that window in Visual Studio 2012 and ran it. Voila!, everything worked just fine and created the tables and data for the Temporary Planet Wrox database for me, and this was without the benefit of SQL Server 2012 Management studio. That is kind of roundabout way of doing things, but it worked. I know that that is kind of kludgey way of doing things, but when you don't have the SQL Sever 2012 management studio front end, then you have to improvise sometimes. I put this post out here just in case anybody would like to find an alternative to doing the exercises in chapter 12 without having to use SQL Server 2012 management studio.

Last edited by vbboyd; April 12th, 2013 at 08:30 AM..