View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Authorized User
Points: 353, Level: 6 Points: 353, Level: 6 Points: 353, Level: 6
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Your Book and VS Versions

Hi Imar,

You may recall that I built a bicycle routes website almost entirely from the advice in your 4.0 book - thanks again for the excellent book and advice in this forum. As part of my plan for my annual winter-time enhancements to my website, I bought a copy of your 4.5 book. Given my minimal programming skill level, I intend to refer to your 4.5 book as my primary go-to reference in a mostly cook-book fashion - I don't have time for a lot of experimentation on my own. I also want to move up to ASP 4.5, SQL 2012 and generally stay reasonably current with MS technologies. To start my winter programming project, I got your newest book, installed SQL Server and Visual Studio on a clean machine (no prior development tools), and began a few simple tests. Your book clearly states that one should install VS and SQL Server both in the 2012 versions. However, when I went to the MS download area, VS 2013 was available in its final release version. Given that I'm only in the planning stage, I decided to try it and see if it was reasonably compatible with your book.

I immediately went to Ch 19 and followed all of those deployment recommendations as I knew I would ultimately need to do that anyway - it went pretty smoothly. Then I jumped to Ch 14 as my website is very dependent upon EF and Linq - especially for use with Gridview and Listview. I roughly followed your steps for a little test to populate a gridview with a very simple DB table. I did this first on my other PC running VS 2010 and SQL 2008 - worked smooth as silk. However, on my PC running VS 2013, the very same exercise resulted in a very nasty error that has eluded remedy (see below for more detail on this error). I assume you have looked at VS 2013. So, my question is: in order to stay reasonably close to the procedures in your 4.5 book, should I scrap the 2013 version and install VS 2012?

It seems that VS 2013 has some benefits and should be reasonably backward compatible with VS 2012. If there are just a few bugs that one can expect to be fixed shortly, that would argue for hanging in there with the 2013 version. However, if I'm likely to find frequent mismatches between your book and VS 2013, then I'll stick with 2012. I realize that you don't always appreciate these kinds of broad questions. However, I'm assuming you've looked at the 2013 version and perhaps you have an opinion about using it with your book - I'm not asking for an evaluation of VS 2013 itself. Thanks again for your excellent books!

If you have an interest in my EF problem, I've posted it in these two places:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1946112.aspx...adata+resource

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...tity-framework