View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Authorized User
Points: 353, Level: 6 Points: 353, Level: 6 Points: 353, Level: 6
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Your Book Update

Hi Imar,

"2. Use Model Binding. .....check out: http://www.asp.net/web-forms/tutoria...etrieving-data My updated book uses the second option...."

I successfully completed the first section of the above link: "Retrieving and displaying data with model binding and web forms" which generated a couple of thoughts about your book update.

1. As this tutorial focused on a Web Application and Code First approach, I'm hopeful that your book will continue with the simple Web Site approach and include examples for "Generating EF Code First model classes from an existing database" - as explained by this article in Jon Galloway's blog (http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/arc...-database.aspx). Although I got mostly through the tutorial, I gave up due to 2012-2013 and C#-VB mismatches and related problems - more than I want to deal with at this time.

2. More generally - I can really understand your support for the Model Binding approach and I'd like to pursue that also. However, the Code First approach for generating the DB is not something I can relate to very well. Aside from the fact that lots of code will be written for existing databases, I personally don't see the practicality of generating a DB from code. I spent decades designing fairly large and complicated business systems and found the incremental development of a DB Entity Relationship diagram to be critical tool - even as an early adopter of OO and Agile technologies. Although that gets us really off-topic - my point is that I'd love to see some of your great detailed examples for using the Model Binding approach by generating and modifying code from an existing DB.

If this is not the right place to continue this discussion, I can use your Blog to give you my email address. Prior to publication of your book update, I'd be very happy to try some of your examples that might relate to this discussion and provide feedback. Thanks again for your help and looking forward to your book update being published.