View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi John,

Sorry that one was such as hassle.

The permission issues may have been caused by the fact that you downloaded files from the internet. Different versions of Windows handle this is different ways but the more recent versions flag the file as suspicious. Then programs like Visual Studio simply refuse to open them instead of telling you what the problem is. Sorry you have to figure that out for yourself.

Re. program versus solution. Technically a Visual Studio solution includes one or more projects, which are usually assemblies. Most of my solutions (in the book and for my own use) contain a single project. You can open a project instead of the solution that contains it, but if the solution only contains one project it doesn't matter much.

If by "program" you meant a compiled executable, I never provide those for download so they can never be infected with viruses.

Sorry getting SQL Server to work was hard. I find it (and all database programming) has a few things like the connection string that are just plain cryptic. (I think both this and the file ownership issues get worse with every new version of Windows and Visual Studio.)

Hopefully others will benefit from your explanation about using ./SQLExpress, and your other comments about taking ownership of files.

Sorry again that this was such an ordeal.

Rod Stephens, Microsoft MVP

Essential Algorithms: A Practical Approach to Computer Algorithms

(Please post reviews at Amazon or wherever you shop!)