View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Authorized User
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Lesson38TryIt_LINQtoSQL

Hi
I have ”MS Visual Studio 210 Express” & “MS Server SQL 2008”, and was unable to find “Server Explorer” window.
So I also installed, ”MS Server SQL 2008 R2”, still no “Server Explorer” window.

After browsing MS help I discovered that “…In the Visual Studio express products, this window is named “Database Explorer”. In all other Visual Studio products, this window is named “Server Explorer”….” That solved one problem.

Reading helps, so I also read John S’s post about “Lesson 38 Building Customer Databases”.

I ran the program “BuildCustomerDatabase” (as per note on p424) using:
a) GOTHMOG\sqlsexpress threw an “error opening database” “…the server was not found or was not accessible…”
b) ./SQLExpress threw an “Error opening database” “..The server was not found or not accessible.Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connection …...”
c) .\sqlexpress & \sqlexpress & SQLEXPRESS had similar outcome.
The “Add Connection” in my Database Explore is different in appearance to that in Figure 38-4. I do not have a “Server Name”.

Before running “BuildCustomerDatabases” I clicked on “Add Connection” in the “Database Explorer” window to amned the Data source and Database file name as per “Figure 38-4” (minus the Server name” and I was able to create a *.mdf file).
I am a tad lost to say the least.

1) How can I “Create Database” using BuildingCustomerDatabase.
2) I am unable to successfully run any of your downloads in Lesson 38??
3) What have I missed? Lots I presume.
Thanks
Wendel