View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Authorized User
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Lesson38TryIt_LINQtoSQL

Hi Rod
After a bit of trial and error I was able to successfully download SQLServerManagementStudio.
I kept getting error message (after downloading and running SQLManagementStudio_x64ENU.exe & SQLManagementStudio_x86ENU.exe) saying that:
“Another version of MS Visual Studio 2008 has been detected on this system that must be updated to SP1. Please update all Visual Studio 2008 installations to SP1 level, by visiting Microsoft Update.”
Sadly to say there was no "..update to SP1" and my previous attempt at downloading “..update to SP3” was not too successful.
MS was able to provide a solution by running “Uninstall Visual Studio 2008 RTMC/RC components” and then installing SQLServerManagementStudio.
Success, so I thought.

Not sure if you can decipher from my ramblings that follow, if I have managed to download the required software? Maybe Mr Microsoft wants me to buy MS Studio.
I am able to create *.mdf & *.sdf dataBases, but I can’t create a *.mdf database file using SQLServerManagementStudio.
I cannot see or select “MS SQL Server(SqlClient)” in Add Connections as per p425.

When I try to connect to CustomerDatabase.mdf in C# – I get an error message “Cannot open user default database. Login failed for user “Wendel-PC-Wendel””. Maybe some things are just not meant to be?

Regards
Wendel

My ramblings: ( creating a db and attempting to link to it)
MS SQL Server Management Studio
Server type = Database Engine (or SQL Server Compact Edition)
Server name = WENDEL-PC
Authentication = Windows Authentication
Connect
Location = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA.
db =MyCustomerDatabase.mdf
TableName = dbo.MyCustomers
Columns = FirstName, LastName, Balance & DueDate.

P423 – Connect to db – Create Windows Forms application in C# / Add Connection
Data source = MS SQL Server Compact 3.5
Db = FileName is blank

Db =C:\Users\Wendel\Documents\Customers.sdf (Test Connection = ok) (compact edition)

Db = C:\Users\Wendel\Documents\Customers.mdf (Test Connection = ok) [unable to connect]
SQL Man Tool
Db ==C:\Users\Wendel\Documents\Customers.sdf (Test Connection = ok) (compact edition)
(Connect = ok)
C# - Test Connection = ok
On moving Customers table from Database Explorer to CustomerssdfDataClasses.dbml –
Error message = The selected objects use unsupported data provider