View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi Wendel,

Sorry this is such a pain. (It's actually one of my all-time least favorite parts of programming: trying to follow the bizarre instructions Microsoft gives you to install an over complicated tool just to do something relatively simple.)

Did you use Windows Update to check for updates? That's probably worth doing just in case, even if it is lying to you about SP1 and other service packs.

Quote:
Maybe Mr Microsoft wants me to buy MS Studio.
I wouldn't give him the satisfaction! I know this can be done without buying any products. Unless you want those products for some reason, I wouldn't spend any money on it.

The big trick is finding a combination of free products that work together.

Quote:
I cannot see or select “MS SQL Server(SqlClient)” in Add Connections as per p425.
Can you see anything that looks related to SQL Server in the Add Connection dialog?

Quote:
When I try to connect to CustomerDatabase.mdf in C# – I get an error message “Cannot open user default database. Login failed for user “Wendel-PC-Wendel””.
Is SQL Server running? One of the things about SQL Server that I don't particularly like is that it must be running to use a database. I'm not sure whether you need to have it running to use the mdf file.

Sorry I'm not much help but I'm not really an SQL Server guru. You'll probably get better instructions by searching the internet.

Quote:
Maybe some things are just not meant to be?
I'm sure you can get it running. The question is, how much effort do you want to spend on it.

Quote:
C# - Test Connection = ok
That sounds promising!

Quote:
On moving Customers table from Database Explorer to CustomerssdfDataClasses.dbml –
Error message = The selected objects use unsupported data provider
That sounds less promising.

Is this trying to use the designer to try to create Entity Framework classes? I think that designer has some odd issues and doesn't always understand the objects in the database. (It seems to understand SQL Server the best, though!)

There have been times when I've needed to build the design by hand to make it work.

Rod Stephens, Microsoft MVP

Essential Algorithms: A Practical Approach to Computer Algorithms

(Please post reviews at Amazon or wherever you shop!)