View Single Post

Old January 29th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Authorized User
Points: 416, Level: 7 Points: 416, Level: 7 Points: 416, Level: 7
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Ch 13 Database permissions and access issues

Hi Imar,

Only 6 chapters to go and it's still a great book, Imar. Thanks for your attention to detail and they way you slowly introduce so many different ways to use the IDE. Ch 12 -13 went fine, long but fine. And a few questions...

I thought I would make this post because I think I made a mistake that others might make, and also wanted to confirm with you about one aspect of the way Visual Studio and SQL were interacting.

Long story short, Visual Studio initially couldn't open the database I created in SQL Server Management System (SSMS). I have since gone back and researched your text - during the SQL connect splash panel I connected to <user>\SQLEXPRESS, not (LocalDB)\v11.0.

I was able to right click the mdf > Properties > Security and add my user account. But it still didn't work until I deleted the log file. Now, every time I switch back and forth between Visual Studio and SSMS I have to delete the log file.

Will that problem go away if I recreate the database connecting to (LocalDB)\v11.0 or do you think I have something else going on?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Alan