View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Authorized User
Points: 416, Level: 7 Points: 416, Level: 7 Points: 416, Level: 7
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Ch 19 Re-creating the Database

Hi Imar,

My hosting provider uses a service called Plesk developed by Parallels in case that will prompt any special comments from you. There is a page on the hosting control panel to create databases and they allow SSMS to connect to their 2012 SQL Server (SP1).

I created the script from the Export Database Try-It-Out and now need to connect to the SQL server so I can re-create the database at the hosting provider.

I have: (1) the IP address of the server, (2) created an SQL Server database at the server called PlanetWrox, (3) a User Name and Password to access the database.

I'm still learning SSMS. I didn't intuitively see how to connect to the hosting provider SQL server from my desktop. If I missed that in the book please point to it, or is that simple enough for you to relate in this forum? I saw some tutorials at Microsoft for SSMS, but I was hoping you might have a few quick steps to follow to establish the connection.

If I understood things from your book and App B, I simply need to (1) connect to the hosting SQL server, (2) run the script we prepared, (3) change the 2 connections strings in web.config (plus the rest of your deployment checklist) and (4) reload the site to the server. Then the database should work, yes?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Alan