View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23 Points: 3,166, Level: 23
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
The Section table is mentioned in one of the models I found in the internet. But it also includes the following fields : Building, Room, MeetingDay, MeetingTime.
Ah. that sounds like the situation I was describing where the students in a single large course also have smaller sections at different days, times, and rooms.

You could add another table to store the section information. It would link to the CourseOfferings table by CourseOfferingId. It would also either (1) have a SectionId, or (2) use CourseOfferingId/room/day/time as the primary key. The StudentCourses table would probably then link to it, assuming each student is enrolled in a specific section for each course.

(The courses I've taught most recently weren't that big so we didn't have sections. We had lecture twice a week with lab time immediately following. With a maximum of 20 or 25 students, we had a lab room big enough for everyone.)

Quote:
My main question is about how to fit in the grading that I listed above in figure B-16 with the assumptions given.
I'm not sure if I already answered that with the talk about assignment weights. Let me know if I missed it.

To do the more elaborate thing with assignment types, you would need to add a new table to describe them.

Rod Stephens, Microsoft MVP

Essential Algorithms: A Practical Approach to Computer Algorithms

(Please post reviews at Amazon or wherever you shop!)