View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Well, I have to say that I would still recommend the book. There are no shortage of books out there, but I felt like I kind of understand how and why Javascript works by reading and working through chapters in this book. Many books start teaching programming concepts and syntax without even mentioning the web until much later, but I felt like this book did a good job of keeping me motivated. I worked through all the examples of the chapters I have read (that's why I found the error mentioned in this particular thread). With that said, I have some programming experience (in other languages), though I am not a professional by any stretch. Perhaps Moby can also give his thoughts about this book.

I have sort of jumped around in the chapters. There are typos, but this is the biggest one I found, and more often than not, it's not as big a deal. That's not to excuse the errors (although every book will have its share of errata), but I actually think it's a pretty good book in general, and the reason I started with it is that it is recommended as part of a self-learning track on the website Javascript is Se Xy although it refers to the older edition, and some chapters have been combined and/or separated.

I think possibly the errata page has not been abandoned, but they just don't have a central place to receive reports of them, or they have forgotten to check this forum regularly. Actually, as I check the website for the book, they ask that users submit an Errata form: http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...Cd-ERRATA.html

I admittedly have not submitted with that form, so maybe that's the issue. UPDATE: I have tried to submit and detail the issues regarding errata and the forum using the Errata Form. We will see if it does anything.

Last edited by snowcrasher555; January 8th, 2016 at 02:39 PM..