View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 467, Level: 7 Points: 467, Level: 7 Points: 467, Level: 7
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Well I'm late to the party, but I'll add my $0.02.

Quote:
First, there seems to be a typo or two for the Chapter 9 Example 4 at the very top of the HTML code, at least using the epub version for the 5th edition I purchased a few days ago:
-transitional.dtd”>
It must be a problem with the epub version. All of the examples have HTML5 doctypes, and there are no remnants of XHTML DTDs in the physical book.

As to the actual issue in Ch9 Ex5, it (and me, apparently) falls prey to CSS specificity. IDs have a higher specificity than classes. So because I used the font property in the ID selector, it overrides font-style in the .new-style selector. As Moby found, the solution is to change the #divAdvert rule to:

Code:
#divAdvert {
    font-family: arial;
    font-size: 12pt;
}
Errata isn't abandoned; there's just only been one report for this edition. As mentioned, errata is reported using a separate from (https://hub.wiley.com/community/support/wrox). The submissions are processed and sent to the authors for verification. I don't know how long it takes for an errata submission to reach me, but it will.

Unfortunately, every book has errors. With the size and scope of such a large project, bugs are inevitable... even with the author and several editors. This edition was a huge reorganization from prior editions, and remarkably very little has been reported.

Quote:
How do you practice JS apart from doing exercises from the book?
Projects. Think of something you want to build and build it, but it's important to pick realistic projects. Start with something manageable, and as you gain confidence, build more complex projects.

Quote:
Of course, I wish I could do all these things using vanilla Javascript. But why invent the wheel, considering that even huge web projects actively use jQuery?
Using jQuery is fine. It's a tool that, when used correctly, can make you more productive. But it is also JavaScript, so be sure and have a solid understanding of the language and its behavior.

Last edited by jminatel; May 18th, 2016 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: new Wrox customer help site https://hub.wiley.com/community/support/wrox
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcpeak For This Useful Post:
snowcrasher555 (January 9th, 2016), Wilfred Desert (January 8th, 2016)