View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2019, 04:15 AM
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default What does a day job in life of programmer!!

No two days are alike, honestly. I get in at around 9:30, chat with my coworkers for a little bit, get some coffee or breakfast from the common area. I go home usually at 6 or so, but can stay later if we're working on something together. There's usually about 3--4 hours of meetings a week, but that's because my team are in a shared space and we talk about architecture and plan features constantly (no need to have official meetings about it).

Every 6 weeks we release, so I assign myself on one feature or bug at a time after it's been designed by our design team (if needed), do it, and mark it complete to get ready for code review. If I get bored, I'll code review something a coworker has done to prepare it for release.

If I get really bored, we'll play ping pong or I'll browse reddit.

One thing that's interesting is that once you become good at programming, problems stop being "How can I do X?", but instead become "How can I do X nicely?" Literally 95% of my time spent thinking about a problem is not about how to technically do it, but instead is more about how to fit it in with the current architecture and make clean and readable while at the same time fast and performant.